This morning and last week we went shopping at the Baltic equivalent of Wal-mart: Rimi's. It doesn't have nearly all the different departments like Wal-Mart, but there's a bit more than what's available at Selver. I think Rimi is about a kilometer from our apartment. A short, brisk walk away, but it's not so fun to carry the groceries all the way back. However, it's worth it for this awesome cereal that's only at Rimi's. It's a chocolatey granola with raisins, banana chips, lil' chocolate chunks that turn your milk nice and chocolately very quickly. It's yummy stuff, so we decided to buy more this week since we like eating it for breakfast and sometimes as a late night snack. That means that we have to buy a lot more milk though, ha ha ha. The cooking is all right. Mom, I'm thankful I at least watched how you cooked sometimes, because it's come in handy a little bit. I could use some recipes though. Sis. LeFevre has used some recipes that have been passed down to missionaries, but they don't seem to taste, or satisfy quite like they do at home. We only have hour long meal times, so we need some quick recipes, but sometimes, we'll just take both our meal hours if we have English class or appointments that fill up our evenings. I made some awesome quesadillas the other day. Sis. LeFevre made some deep-dish pizza in a casserole pan, but it was sorta, meh. Last night, I cooked spaghetti (of course it wasn't as fancy as your sauce ;) , and I attempted to make some French Toast the other day. I think I'll try making fried potatoes this week. That should be interesting since it's all sort of a guessing game, ha ha! Another odd thing, it's been hard to find measuring cups here. We only have one in our apartment, but we haven't really seen any good ones at the store.
We do have a washing machine, but it takes like 2 plus hours to wash stuff. I think because it's really compact or something... Unfortunately, dryers are not in existence in Estonia so we get to use big drying racks. Only one room in the apartment has carpet, but Mom, I'll bet you'll be proud of how I've been good about cleaning the dishes and sweeping and vacuuming! This week, Sis. LeFevre's legs have been aching a lot. She played soccer for years, so it left her legs pretty messed up. This has really impacted our work this week since we were put under house arrest for Friday and Saturday. I felt sooo useless... but there's no use limping around all over the place. It's a problem she had before the mission, so we still don't know if the resting does a whole lot. I guess the days we rested were all right since it was rainy most of the day. We ventured out to family game night on Friday. It's so fun being with the members because they love us so much. They're like a really close family and I really admire that about them. Since we were cooped up for so long I didn't have much else to do. I don't have boots, a hat, new gloves, or many new scarves yet. They're kinda pricey here :/ But, they are necessary so I'll have to do some shopping. I don't think Sis. LeFevre cares for it much, hehehe.
This week, we've been helping a member with English almost everyday. We've been reading a lot from the Book of Mormon stories since it's easier to understand and has pictures :) Well, technically, Maive is a mother of 9, but she actually can't be a member since her "mees" (man) doesn't want to get married. That's a common problem here in Estonia :( I don't know much about it, so I'll have to ask the Elders.
Elder and Sister Jacques came up from Riga to check our apartments and they treated us to dinner at Steffani's. That's like the only restaurant we've been to in town. Probably because it's more food for your buck (or Kroon, in this case). It's an italian restaurant, and I actually scarfed down an entire small, thick crust pizza by myself. We've gone there every P-day so far. Maybe we'll go again today, ha ha ha!
You're right about how everything starts out with faith. That's why it's the first principle of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Right now, I'm really trying to build my faith to have courage to find those who are prepared to hear this message. We weren't able to to much at all this last week, so we'll have to make a rebound. Hope you enjoy the pictures and videos! Thanks for all of the love and support.
Love you lots,
Courtney
Frankfurt, Germany - Airport for layover to Latvia

We got to stay in the Lenin Hotel, called that because the man himself had stayed there a few times. Here's the lobby of the tiny place.

In Riga, Latvia. This is a large cathedral nearby the church building in town.

Food for the new missionary feast!

The mission home, pre-feast.

My new companion!! Sister LeFerve, who has actually been there 3 months. Learning Estonian with her should be fun ;o)
We got to stay in the Lenin Hotel, called that because the man himself had stayed there a few times. Here's the lobby of the tiny place.
In Riga, Latvia. This is a large cathedral nearby the church building in town.
Food for the new missionary feast!
The mission home, pre-feast.
My new companion!! Sister LeFerve, who has actually been there 3 months. Learning Estonian with her should be fun ;o)
No comments:
Post a Comment